In-game advertising has become a powerful tool for brands to reach a specific target audience and increase visibility. One of the most popular platforms for in-game advertising is Fortnite, a massively popular online multiplayer game. In this article, we will take a closer look at the in-game advertising opportunities on Fortnite and provide five examples of how brands have successfully used the platform to promote their products.
Fortnite is a free-to-play game that has become a cultural phenomenon, with over 350 million registered players. The game features a variety of in-game advertising opportunities, including dynamic ads, static ads, and gamevertising. Dynamic ads allow brands to display video ads or banners on the gaming screen, while static ads are non-animated images or text. Gamevertising refers to the integration of a brand’s products or services into the game itself.
One of the benefits of in-game advertising on Fortnite is the ability to reach a specific target audience. The game’s player base is primarily composed of young people, making it an ideal platform for brands targeting this demographic. Additionally, the game’s massive player base allows for significant reach and exposure for a brand.
Now let’s take a look at five examples of how brands have successfully utilized in-game advertising on Fortnite.
- McDonald’s: In 2019, McDonald’s created a virtual version of its iconic golden arches within the game. Players were able to interact with the arches and collect virtual McDonald’s items, such as a fry-shaped glider. This creative approach to in-game advertising helped McDonald’s to increase brand awareness and appeal to the game’s young player base.
- Nike: In 2020, Nike partnered with Fortnite to release a virtual version of its Air Jordan 1 sneaker in the game. This allowed players to purchase the virtual shoe using in-game currency and also helped to promote the actual Air Jordan 1 sneaker in the real world.
- Samsung: Samsung used Fortnite to promote its Galaxy S10 smartphone. Players who purchased the phone were given exclusive in-game skins and emotes. This helped Samsung to appeal to the game’s player base and increase brand awareness.
- Coca-Cola: In 2019, Coca-Cola created a virtual vending machine within the game. Players were able to interact with the vending machine and collect virtual cans of Coke. This creative approach to in-game advertising helped Coca-Cola to increase brand awareness and appeal to the game’s young player base.
- Xbox: In 2020, Xbox used Fortnite to promote its Xbox Series X gaming console. Players were able to purchase an exclusive in-game skin that featured the console’s design. This helped Xbox to appeal to the game’s player base and increase brand awareness for the new console.
In-game advertising on Fortnite has become a powerful tool for brands to reach a specific target audience and increase visibility. The game’s massive player base and appeal to young people make it an ideal platform for in-game advertising. The five examples above show how brands have successfully utilized the platform to promote their products and increase brand awareness. As the gaming industry continues to grow and evolve, we can expect to see even more brands utilizing in-game advertising on Fortnite and other popular games.