Want to make your next email campaign successful?
Knowing how to write an irresistible email subject line can help you get there. Email marketing is undoubtedly one of the most powerful ways to reach out to your prospects or customers. But without good subject line writing skills, you won’t be able to make it.
There are a few key factors that you need to get right to make sure you get a good return from your email marketing campaign – and your subject line happens to be one of them.
Here are 9 simple tips that can help you write subject lines that get you a high open rate:
- Focus on Simplicity – Keep your subject line short and simple. Don’t hide the main purpose of your email behind shaky, unsure words – be straightforward and confident in your approach.
- Get Up Close and Personal – Personalization is something you can’t ignore when doing email marketing. Use the first name of your recipient in the subject line to stand out from the inbox clutter and win their trust.
- Escape the Spam Trap – Keep your subject line natural without excessive capitalization. Avoid using lots of exclamation marks, and words that trigger the spam filters, such as free, wealth, and of course Viagra.
- Speak their Language – What does your target audience want? What makes them tick? What kind of offer would get them excited? Know your audience because only then you’d be write awesome subject lines that appeal to them.
- Be Compelling Enough – The subject lines you write must be creative and compelling. Give your subscribers a reason to open and read your email. A good exercise is to ask yourself if the subject line you wrote makes you want to click through.
- Don’t Save the Best for the Last – Many email marketers make the mistake of not listing their key info in the first 50 words of the subject line. However, its crucial that you put your email’s unique selling point right in the start, so that you don’t lose a click-through.
- Flatter them – Like they say, a little flattery goes a long way! It’s okay to make your recipients feel great, valued or elite in the subject line. But also see to it that you don’t go overboard with the hype, because too much hype can backfire. The last thing you want is your subscribers leaving just because they did not get what they were promised.
- Make it Urgent – Deadlines work – they seriously do. By using urgency in your subject line you will get a better response. People don’t want to miss out on deadlines. They hate to lose a good offer. So make sure you carefully utilize the urgency factor in the best possible way, whenever you can.
- Test, Test and Test Some More – Since there’s no guaranteed formula to write a winning email subject line, you should continually test to get the best results. The styles and trends that work for others may not work for you, and vice versa. So the more effort you put into testing and tweaking your subject line, the better response you’ll get in the long run.